Monday, August 11, 2014

Taipei

For those of you who don't know, I have been in Taipei for two weeks now!  It has been pretty non stop, and I still feel like a tourist.

Arriving into the city, I was greeted by my school director.  Driving into the city was gorgeous, I had no idea Taipei is surrounded by mountains.  Having traveled in different parts of SE Asia, it was shocking seeing real highways, and people observing traffic signals.  Quite a change from what I had grown used to in Cambodia.  My school put me up in a little temporary "apartment"(bed, desk, and a bathroom), and told me I would be starting work the next day.  So much for taking a week to explore!

My first week of working went well, luckily it was half days.  The summer program is much more laid back than the school year, with each class focusing on a writing project.  My class ranged from 6-10 year olds, and they were all extremely sweet.

I spent the afternoons with my friend Chelsie (we met in Cambodia during Languagecorps), checking out the city and hunting for an apartment.  We took the time to check out a few night markets, and I tried some amazing food, such as fried squid with Thai Chili sauce and a fried mashed potato ball with cheese and corn.  Of course I have had my fair share of potstickers and dumplings!

The people here have been amazing, going out of their way to be helpful.  Almost every time I pull out a map someone approaches wanting to help.  I've only been given horrible directions a few times now... People are also excited to talk to us because we clearly are foreigners.  I have been approached by many people wanting to be friends so they can practice their english.  I haven't followed up with anyone yet, but it could be a great way to learn some Chinese!

I will try to get better about posting, but for now here are some pictures!  Enjoy :)


Fried Squid



Botanical Gardens



Did I mention I bought a selfie stick... 


Taipei Zoo


Hello Kitty Gondola


2 comments: