Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Food, Food, and More Food

Before beginning my journey, one of the aspects that excited me most was the food.  I've always loved international food, and couldn't wait to see what awaited me.  Well my first three weeks have not disappointed.  From night markets, to walk up stands, delicious food is always around.  At first I was a little limited on where I was eating, picking places that had an English menu or pictures I could point to.  However, I have met some great people that are helping me experience food like the locals! Last weekend I had all you can eat hot pot.  Similar to fondue, you have raw food that you cook in a broth.   There was seafood, meat, vegetables, and a lot of weird looking things I avoided.  They also had all you can drink beer and Hagen Dazs :).  It's shocking I was able to walk out of there!  

My friend Meilee has been here for 10 years, and has been an awesome tour guide!  Going to eat with her is awesome because she knows Chinese, and has no problem just ordering the must haves for the table.  We waited in line for an hour and a half for a famous breakfast place (just a counter you order at.. not even waiting for a table), and tried food I never would have thought to order.  

Overall, I am loving the food!  Here's some pictures to help visualize what I have been enjoying!  


World Famous Dumpling Place



Matt Damon is a fan




Night Market


That's butter in the middle




Hot Pot


Pig Blood Cake (Not a fan)


Breakfast Place-- Sandwiches in that clay pot


Pork Belly

1 comment: